Tuesday, August 23, 2011

7 Year Old Hairdresser

So, this morning I was looking at my 7 year old daughter and I noticed something funny with her hair.  She had some chunks missing.   This is very disappointing because we have been through this about 3 or 4 times now.  My 7 year old daughter apparently deems herself a hairdresser because she keeps cutting her hair.  I don't understand why she keeps doing it because I flip out and fly off the handle everytime she does it.    Last year this time she had gorgeous long blonde hair that she decided to layer and give herself a little whisp of bangs, right before her dance recital and aunt's wedding I might add.  

The cutting of the hair is bad enough but when I asked her about it, she lied to me.  She knew what she did was wrong and she went to a new friend's house yesterday so she totally threw her little sister under the bus and tried to blame her.   I saw right through it and finally got the truth out of her.  Which I might add was so stupid.  She said she had some goober type stuff in her hair so she snipped it out.   Seriously, what is wrong with these kids?  

To some of you, this might not be a big deal.  But, to me there are two things that send me over the mommy cliff that I flip out over.  1.  When children take markers or pens and write all over themselves.  I hate that.  I am not a huge fan of tattoos or strange piercings so maybe that has something to do with it but I absolutely cannot deal with children covered in marker.  Just ask my prior daycare provider, she was always terrified when the kids got a mark on themselves with pen or marker....lol.    2.  When children cut their own hair.   It looks horrible and rarely can you do anything to make it look nice.  

So, now for the punishment.  In the past I have taken away all of the scissors in the house and made her ask me to use them while I watch her every move with them and constantly embarrass her by saying "your not going to cut your hair with those right?".  It obviously has not worked.  Time to take some extreme measures.   We already had plans today to go to the beach and it is with Jackson's friends too so I wasn't about to punish him.   Being Olivia's brother is already punishment enough sometimes.   And, she has a party for her old Girl Scout troop tonight so they can say goodbye to her since we moved to a new school district.  But, other that those two things, she is spending every waking moment in her bedroom and only allowed to come out to 1) eat a meal, 2) clean up the toy room when the boys mess it and 3) to go to Tai Kwon Do class tomorrow. 

I am also contemplating making her pay for her own haircut to fix it.  She has been saving up money to buy something she really wants and finally has the $21 it costs.  I am thinking that maybe that money should be put towards her haircut to fix the mess she has made before school starts. 

Thought?  

No comments:

Post a Comment