Wednesday, November 9, 2011

It's Been Awhile

So it's been awhile since I've last blogged.   Sometimes I feel too much pressure to make it funny or interesting and then I panic and don't write anything at all.   I know it's silly but it's the truth.  I tend to need to do things over the top or not at all.   In fact, I am finding myself really pushing with my daughter and I need to figure out how to stop before I become one of those moms on "dance moms" or "toddlers and tiaras".

We went to my daughter's parent/teacher conferences.  She is in second grade.  My daughter is the type who when she does something, she almost always does it well.   For example (and a mommy brag too), in school they were tested in three areas; Math, Reading and Verbal/Oral Communication.   In Math, the goal was to receive a score of around 170 and she received a 180.  In Reading, the goal was to receive a score of 163 and she got a 199.  In Verbal/Oral Communication, the goal was to get a 43 and Olivia received a score of 99!   This qualified her to be in a special reading program which is like a "book club" for second graders.  Crazy hey?  I cannot imagine, at 7 years old being smart and confident enough to be in a book club, heck I can't even imagine it now at age 34.   I am so proud of her and think it's amazing that she did so well but in my mind, I see the 180 in Math and think she needs to work harder.  

If that isn't crazy enough, Olivia is on a competitive dance team.  She auditioned in the fall and made it on the team which is fantastic.   She impressed her teacher enough to put her right in the front of the front row which is an awesome spot to be in when your in a group and then she received a special honor of "Student of the Month".  The teacher said that they have never given the award to anyone under the age of 8 and at first I thought it was just for someone in their class but since then I have realized that she was chosen out of the entire dance academy.   It is such an honor since some of those girls have been going there for years.  Her dance teacher tested them last week on their dance and I just got the email with her results.  The dance was split into two parts and they were scored on how well they are doing on the first half and second half with a score of 1, 2 or 3.  1 meaning that they are doing excellent and better than the average kids in the class, 2 meaning that they are doing average and 3 meaning they might need a private lesson because they are doing below average.   Olivia received a 1 on the first part and a 2 on the second part.   Right away I look at the 2 and think that she needs to practice more and needs to improve. 

I know I'm being pyscho and I am working on it.  I just want her to do well and I think it's because I have never been good at anything before.  It all comes so easy to her, maybe I'm jealous?   I think part of being a mom is you want your children to do their best and be the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment