Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What's For Dinner?

Everyday on Facebook, I post a status update asking "What's for dinner?".   I was doing this for a few weeks when it came to my attention that a few people thought I was bragging about how I make these fantastic meals for my family.    They weren't being mean about it at all, it was just a comment here and there that made me realize that people were taking it the wrong way.  

The funny thing is, boy were they ever taking it the wrong way because I am about as far from Julia Child as you can possibly get.  In fact, it's a joke in my family that I am missing the "chef" gene.  My sister went to college and majored in culinary arts and can cook or bake anything.   She is fantastic and I am the complete opposite. 

For my bridal shower many years ago, someone attached a wire whisk to my present.  When my sister (who was my maid of honor) handed me that gift I sat there puzzled because I was trying to figure out what that thing was that was attached to my gift.  Was it someone's idea of a joke?  Was it some sort of "toy" (and you know what I mean because I also received a gift of naughty underwear at that same shower)?  I must have sat there for some time because my sister finally whispered "It's a wire whisk, you use it to cook".    Yeah, I had NO clue. 

So, when I am posting my "What's for dinner?" status update everyday at 4 or 5pm, I am actually looking for dinner ideas.   I am stuck in this rut where it seems like I just make the same few dishes that I can make decent over and over again.   Now that I stay at home and actually attempt to cook everyday for my family, those same dishes get really old fast.  I love seeing what other people are having and look back on that as I'm making my meal plans out on Sundays.   So, to those of you who post on my status updates, THANK YOU for participating.  

No comments:

Post a Comment