Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Scary News From The Doctor

*First off, don't read this if you aren't interested in the following words:  uterus, lining, period, vagina.  Thank you*

So I have been having some female issues lately.  I have had them my entire life.  I was diagnosed with endometriosis back in 2001 but since I've been pregnant 4 times since then, it hasn't been too much of an issue.

I have been doing fine until September when everything went wonky.  I blamed it on the fact that I was sleep deprived and constantly stressed out.  Finally, a few weeks ago I was able to get into the doctor.  I still haven't established myself with a doctor since moving here so I had to wait to get in.   I went in and he ordered all sorts of tests, a full blood work up, an ultrasound and referred me to a dermatologist because some dry spots on my legs are acting up and I feel like my hair on top is thinning.  (I also just blamed that on lack of sleep and stress).  

I went in for my ultrasound this morning and followed up immediately after with my OB/GYN.   He looked at my bloodwork and there were some elevated white blood cells but everything else came back perfectly fine.  Then, he looked at my ultrasound and found some cysts which weren't a big deal but apparently the lining of my uterus has a mass of thick tissue on it.   He said that since I'm so  young, he's not really worried about it but we need to get in there and get it thinned out and have a sample taken.  I asked why he was taking a sample and he told me this:  If I were a woman who was of menopause age or older, he would be certain it was the start of cancer.   Wait, What?   He saw the look on my face and told me to not panic that more than likely it was nothing but he had to tell me that and has to do the sample to be certain.   Please nobody say "bad doctor" because he is not, he's very nice and the way he said it was reassuring but still, nobody likes to hear the C- word when they are at the doctor after having problems.   I have to have surgery and will schedule it tomorrow for the very near future before my dermatologist appointment.

The things that have me freaked out are:

-I have always had something inside of me think that I was going to have something wrong with my female parts.  Ever since I can remember.  From the time I got married I told people that we probably wouldn't have children, not because I don't like them, I honestly had a bad feeling that I couldn't have them.  Well, I was wrong so now this is making me wonder.
-Ask my family, they will back me up on this.  I am a medical freak of nature.  If something strange or against the odds will happen to someone, it is almost always me.   My mom said that from the time I was born I rarely got sick, but when I did, it was extreme.   I am that person that doesn't just get the flu, I get West Nile Virus in October or spike a fever of 105 and get pneumonia in August.  I have lost a baby in the second trimester and have had three other completely dramatic pregnancies and/or deliveries.   I have had a laparoscopy where I ended up in the hospital right after for a sever bladder and kidney infection.  Usually if something is against the odds or not likely, it happens to me.

So, that is why I am completely freaked out.   I want to google it but I'm afraid of what I will find and it will make me more of an anxiety filled mess.   On another note, I absolutely love this hospital and the doctors.  It is so nice to be back in civilization where medical care is not backwoods and results are immediate.  

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to read this. I swear to God I didn't know when I made my little wisecrack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You understand why I had to ask right? I was really hoping that you didn't know. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete