Thursday, January 26, 2012

Still dealing with the effects of giving birth to The Beast: 2 Years Later

I went to the dermatologist today on a referral from my OB/GYN.  I was telling him I feel like my hair is thinning, especially on the top and it's embarrassing.   I have often wondered if it's because of my lack of sleep and high stress level dealing with The Beast. I had nice, wonderful, thick hair until I became pregnant with him.   After I had Jackson, I had to cut my hair shorter because I was so sick through my pregnancy but I never really experienced it thinning.

Anyway, I went in today and we sat down to chat before my exam.  He asked me why I was there and how long I've noticed it.  When I told him my story about having The Beast 2 years ago and it being a problem since then he asked about my pregnancy and delivery with him, asking if there was anything traumatic involved.  I just laughed and then told him all about my water breaking 10 weeks early, having to be airlifted 4 hours away from my family over Christmas, the nervous breakdown in the hospital and the emergency C-Section.  He is a young guy with a one year old so he was a little surprised by it all and simply said "Yeah, that will do it".   The dr told me that he could diagnose me without even taking a look but he did anyway and pulled some of my hair out and looked at it under the scope. 

What I have is called: Telogen Effluvium.  Here is a definition of what it is: In telogen effluvium sufferers, some body change or shock pushes more hairs into the telogen phase. Typically in this condition, about 30% of the hairs stop growing and go into the resting phase before falling out. So if you have telogen effluvium, you may lose an average of 300 hairs a day instead of 100.

After looking at my hair in the scope he said that only 30% of my hair is growing and 70% is resting.  Lovely hey?    The good news is it pretty much can't get any worse but the bad news is there is nothing the doctor can do to fix it.   I am lucky and I am not bald and I still have a lot of hair but this just sucks.   I want my hair back.   He said that in time it will come out of hibernation and start to grow back but he can't tell me when.  It normally takes anywhere from 6 months to 2 years after the trauma to start growing back.   The doctor said that he could tell me to use Rogaine or other washes like that but there are NO studies to prove that it actually works and the stuff he would prescribe is really expensive. 

I swear this kid is going to be the death of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment