Monday, June 20, 2011

Why Are You So Rude?

  I was reading something that a friend posted on Facebook today about a comment that a complete stranger made to her at a store about how many children she had.    That got me thinking about all the rude comments that I have received in my last few years, especially as a mother and wonder how are you supposed to respond to those?    I was always taught to "respect my elders" and "treat others how you want to be treated" but man, sometimes it is really hard.   
 
  When we first moved to the most horrible place on earth when Olivia was 5 weeks old, I was in JCPenney returning some curtains when this woman started chatting with me.  I was so excited to have someone other than the baby to talk to since I was new in town, I eagerly returned the conversation.    She was telling me how adorable my baby was and since she was my first I was eating it right up.   Then, just as she snagged me into the conversation and had me excited she asked me "So, do you breastfeed?".   Um, ok, first of all, that is a very personal thing and two, what the h*ll business is it of yours is what I was thinking in my head.  I was just kind of dumbfounded so I meekly answered "No".   She then, looked me right in the eye and said (no joke) "My, isn't that selfish of you".   I seriously grabbed my curtains, put them in the stroller and marched out with my baby, went home and cried.   I couldn't believe that someone had the nerve to say that me.    What if I had  tried my hardest and couldn't do it?   I didn't but that was just not any concern of hers.   I was so upset that when my husband got home from work, I demanded that he quit his job and we move back to Michigan.    He thought I was over reacting of course but I honestly think that one comment has a lot to do with my fear of breastfeeding.

  Another time when Olivia was just a baby, I took her grocery shopping which was a nightmare because she hated to be in the infant carrier.  She screamed the entire time.   I had two rude things happen while I was in the grocery store, first of all, I had this younger guy come up to me and tell me that my baby was crying.  WTF?  Really?  I wasn't aware that the loud, piercing scream was in fact coming from my baby right in front of me, why thank you.   I kindly said that I knew she was crying and that she doesn't like the carrier.   He then followed me around and told me that I should maybe feed her, change her diaper or pick her up.   I couldn't get away from him fast enough....I don't think he even had children.    Then, about five minutes later when I was almost done shopping, I was reaching for some milk and an elderly lady comes up to me, taps me on the arm and tells me "I don't think he's very happy".   No kidding.   One, it's a SHE and I am aware that she is unhappy.    I couldn't wait to finish my grocery shopping and head home.  

  That brings me to another one.   I got this one all of the time.   Whenever I would bring Olivia out, I would dress her in pink from head to toe and have her covered in pink blankets.   It never failed, about ten people would come up to me and tell me how beautiful my baby boy was.   So, then I got her ears pierced at 6 months old because I figured with earrings you would have to know she was a girl.  Then, I got comments about how you shouldn't pierce a baby's ears, you should let them decide later on in life, etc.    I can't win.
  
  So, tell me about some of the rude comments you've gotten.

2 comments:

  1. Damn, people are horrible. :( I am so tired of the "my you sure have your hands full" comments. I get them constantly. My children aren't perfect but I think every time we go out it's an educational experience for them. Yes, my hands are full, could you kindly hold a door or say something more helpful than the obvious?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have such a great comeback to the "do you breastfeed" question. It's rather shocking and terribly inappropriate, which is why it's so perfect. Catch me on FB and I'll share. -Bryan

    ReplyDelete