Friday, May 20, 2011

Speech Therapy

So as you guys who read my blog know, the Beast is currently in the process of being evaluted for Early Intervention.   It is mostly because at 16 months he still isn't speaking any "real" words and has some behavioral issues that concern me.  

Last week he was evaluated by the Speech Therapist.   While she was here, The Beast showed a little bit of his "true colors" which I hate to say, but made me happy.    The Beast is very happy when he is around other people; when we are at MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) or at a playgroup he is happy and sweet.   When we are at home and it's just us, he is miserable to be around.   I really hate to say that about my own child but he is.    It stresses me out and makes me really high strung.    He is crabby about 75% or more of the time and acts like his is frustrated about something.  Anyway, while the speech therapist was here, he did his thing where he came up to me wanting to be held but when I picked him up, he instantly pushed me away and started to whine and cry.   When I put him down, he started rolling around on the floor in a terrible tantrum.   I can only imagine what this woman thinks of me because I was so happy and I begged her to write the behavior down in her notes.   I was so relieved that someone saw it because I feel like nobody believes me.  

Today, the Occupational Therapist came out with the Early Intervention Coordinator.   We had the occupational therapist come out to have him evaluated for something called Sensory Processing Disorder.  Right away they informed me that he did qualify for speech therapy.    I think that he did really well today but they had to go back to the office and score his test results.   I really don't think he'll qualify for Occupational Therapy because of course he did things for them that he would never do for me but of course that is ok, in fact it's great that he is doing it at all.    They had him stack blocks, try to do a puzzle, turn the pages in a book and some other things like that.  I will find out the "official" results on Wednesday. 

I guess I don't know how to feel about it.  Part of me is relieved that he does qualify because I wasn't over reacting or wasting someone else's time and energy but part of me is sad too.    Of course the question: Is the Beast stupid? goes thru my mind but thankfully I have enough sense to know that is true.    Another part of me wonders if it's my fault because he came so early.   (In case you didn't know, Noah came 7 weeks early but tried to come 10 weeks early)  Everyone wants their child to be perfect and never have any issues so it's a little scary to know for a fact that he is behind other children his age. 

So, maybe this will help us find that missing puzzle piece that we cant seem to find.    Here's hoping....

No comments:

Post a Comment